Choosing A Dedicated Mobile Site Or Responsive Website For SEO
Table of Contents
Speed dictates the fate of a website. As we gear toward faster-loading pages that are easier to navigate and more small-screen friendly to all users, developers are keen on keeping websites simple, light and fit into screens of all sizes.
Mobile Dedicated Sites are specifically designed for smartphones. They often stem from a separate URL (a good example is m.site.com) and are completely independent from the full website. The features and content added in these webpages are a fraction of what can be seen in the website, though it still provides valuable information to all users.
Responsive Website, on the other hand, is a development technique in which the system can automatically detect and adjust the web layout according to the screen size of the device on which it is displayed. Most of its web layout is intact but rearranged to fit into a smaller screen.
Both offer comfort and ease for small-screen users, but to business owners choosing which platform to use needs a lot of consideration. Local business can benefit from SEO Omaha and other mobile considerations. Learn more here.
Mobile Dedicated Site Requires Managing 2 Domains
An “m” site, to put it simply, is a downgraded version of the full website. Some of the features, functionality, and programming had been left out to keep it lightweight and speedy. According to this article the advantages of this set up includes:
- Mobile version website will be fully responsive for desktop, tablet and smartphones.
- It will also be fully mobile complaint and responsive.
- Good for mobile ranking. Passes the Google Mobile-Friendly Test. Because it includes extra pages and content, this can be beneficial for SEO if you have unique or different page copy on the “m” site. At this time the general consensus among SEO experts is that this is better for mobile ranking because Google sees it as a better user experience.
- The “m” site is specifically designed for smartphones and will display better and load more quickly.
However, it doesn’t come with a disadvantage. In the same article it says:
The major drawback with a separate small-screen version is that you’ll need to maintain two websites. This can make for extra work when updating. Redirection of some kind, user interactive or automatic using a PHP or jQuery script, can be added. Because the “m” site is separate, the code is not lumped into a single site so how the css and html work is usually more easily understood.
Responsive Design Is A Lot Of Work
The best thing about a responsive website is that there is no need for a second URL, which translates to lesser number of developers on your team since the only focus is one website. You can keep the same domain and almost everything stays the same except for the coding at the back-end.
More advantages of using responsive website, also from the same article, are listed below:
- Responsive design, if coded correctly, will check as mobile compliant.
- Top level site will be fully responsive for desktop, tablet and smartphones.
- Good for mobile ranking. Passes the Google Mobile-Friendly Test. The top level homepage will be mobile for better SEO. Because it is less specifically tailored to small-screen it may rank slightly lower than a mobile version sub-site.
And it’s disadvantage is “It’s more restricting and difficult to work with. The design and load speed is more easily compromised by adding 3rd party applications and widgets, too many Google Fonts or images that are too large and/or do not include responsive widths. In most cases, the webpages will include double the normal site code.”
Dedicated Mobile Site Or Responsive Website For Omaha SEO
How Do You Conclude?
Aside from considering the amount your will be spending to your team of developers to maintain the website, the number of developers needed, and the kind of website you want them to develop and maintain; first take into account the overall impression of the future user on the website.
If the market you are trying to penetrate are mostly small-screen users or if the content that needs to be published are mostly large files, it matters which type of website will serve your purpose better. With this in mind, there is no use developing a mobile website if the pages just aren’t compatible in a compressed and lightweight programming.
Our lead generation efforts in SEO Portland haven’t gone to waste since we established what needs to be done and provide skillful advice to our business partners.
And if despite the facts presented above you’re still unable to decide, let us know. There’s still more room for you and your developing team on our circle of web marketing and lead generation in SEO Omaha. Free up some load and join us!