4 Critical Social Media Marketing Mistakes You Shouldn’t Be Making
While social media is changing and providing more conversion opportunities for businesses, not all marketing efforts work. It has been established by online marketers that not all tactics considered as traffic drivers work for every service or product. In fact, media marketers throughout the course of their career have had marketing fails.
A few of the epic social media marketing fails earlier this year have been listed down by entrepreneur.com. The list includes:
United Airlines – The company hasn’t been having a good year. Things started when passengers took (and shared) video of a man being forcibly dragged off a plane by security when he was randomly selected — and declined — to forfeit his seat for airline maintenance workers.
Dove – In its ongoing effort to redefine popular beauty standards, Dove made a controversial move to reshape its shampoo bottles to reflect different body types. To many women, this indirectly confirmed that there was a “best” or “right” body type, after all. The question raised was, Do you choose the bottle that matches your body type?
Adidas – This fail boiled down to a simple – and probably innocent – but very poor choice of words. After this year’s Boston marathon, the company tweeted out, “Congrats, you survived the Boston Marathon!” inadvertently recalling imagery of the 2013 Boston Marathon bombing.
Learn From These Mistakes
The successful growth of any business shouldn’t rely solely on a specific set of strategies. Like most businesses making a name online, pay attention to your metric and determine the best time your target audience is mostly actively engaged with you. Also, it’s important to avoid making these four mistakes or you might lose more prospects rather than gaining leads:
1. Don’t invest time on multiple social media platforms.
Every additional platform your business adds equates to spending additional time, thus requiring more effort from you to promote customer engagement. To prevent yourself from committing this mistake, first determine which site gives you more leverage when posting your business and non-business related posts.
Also, not all of these platforms can help you maximize your audience reach. Some just don’t have the enough number of the active target audience.
2. Don’t post the same content across multiple business pages.
Tailored content increases reach and engagement. In every social media website, page navigation varies as well as the different expectations active users have. A good example is when using hashtags. On Instagram, hashtags are effective in catching and directing attention to a post whereas on Facebook, it doesn’t have the same effect.
Avoid posting the same content. Try to add variation like changing the title, altering the description, or changing the angle or focus of your post. The more unique it becomes, the more fitting it becomes to your chosen social media site.
3. Don’t just share your own posts.
Content curation is one effective means to promote your brand. Too many or too frequent posts to your own brand or product can come off as annoying to some users, which might trigger disinterest and unfollows. Try to follow the 80/20 rule: 80% of your posts should share relevant, educational, helpful, and useful information from the rest of the world… while only 20% should be brand-oriented. Neovora has found out that by posting content from other sources in the same industry, the fan base actually increased as well as the audience reach.
Content from authority sites or businesses increase awareness of your own brand, and following to your page or subscription to your site. Visit www.neovora.com/ to learn more about business branding and promotion.
4. Always respond quickly to questions and comments.
Prospects want a reply to their question right away. When they take the time to type in a question or comment, it means you have something of interest to them. But without a quick response, they can easily move on to the next business that offers a similar or the same product or service. According to research:
- 75% of people are likely to share a good experience on their own profile,
- 70% of people are more likely to use the brand’s product or service,
- 65% of people have more brand loyalty,
- 25% of people are less likely to go to a competitor.
People who reach out to a brand for customer service expect a reply within 60 minutes. Providing informative replies to every question is also an effective way to let your prospects and customers know they are important to your company.